EVC prevents vMotion migrations from failing because of incompatible CPU’s and works at the cluster level, using CPU baselines to configure all processors in the cluster that are activated for EVC.
It ensures that all hosts in a cluster present the same CPU features to the VM stack, even if the CPU differs from each other. Hosts that cannot be configured to the baseline are not permitted to join the cluster.
- Use CPU from a single vendor
- Have hardware virtualization activated
- Have execution-disable technology activated
- Be configured for vSphere vMotion migrations
- Applications in VMs must be CPU ID compatible